Student Handbook

Life as a college student can be confusing. From classes, transportation, advising, and all the resources on campus, it can be a lot to remember. We want you to learn how to navigate our college efficiently and effectively so that you can reach your educational goals.

The Student Handbook was designed by students as a tool to support you as a student. It contains information on registering for classes, finding advice and counseling, accessing support programs, and being engaged on campus. Below are a list of resources that are covered in the Student Handbook.

Steps to Enroll

Step 1: Apply

Room BE 1104, 206.934.5450

Anyone who is 18 years or older or a high school graduate may attend Seattle Central. Special arrangements can be made for qualifying students who are under 18. Visit to fill out the online application form; it’s fast and free! Two business days later, students will receive an official Student Identification (SID) Number.

Step 2: Plan Your Funding

Room BE 1104, 206.934.3844

To successfully plan your funding, start early (at least three months ahead) and watch for deadlines! Our helpful staff can assist you at all stages of the financial aid application process. See for more information on PAYING FOR COLLEGE.

Step 3: Placement for Classes

Room BE 1106, 206.934.6344

All students enrolling for the first time at Seattle Central must demonstrate their English and math proficiency level by taking the Placement Tests. Visit for more information.

Step 4: Register

Room BE 1104, 206.934.6918

To receive a PIN number that will allow you to register for classes, you are required to participate in START New Student Orientation, either in-person or online; visit to learn more about this informative session.

After completing START, you can choose to meet with an academic advisor before registering.

Register for classes either online or by visiting the Enrollment Services office, Room BE1104. Seattle Central’s course listings for each quarter are posted exclusively online at MyCentral is now viewable on any mobile device, including smartphones and tablets.

Step 5: Pay and Prepare, Room BE 1104, 206.934.4108

Pay Your Tuition

Pay online or in-person at the Cashier. Tuition is due within seven business days from the date you register, or by the first day of class, whichever comes first. Students who applied for financial aid can check their award status with the Financial Aid Office or online at

Buy Your Books and Supplies

The campus bookstore has lists of required text books; you will need your class item numbers and section numbers in order to purchase books. Books and supplies can also be purchased online at

Plan Your Transportation

Seattle Central has a limited number of parking spots on campus. Students are encouraged to enroll in the college’s ORCA Card program. Visit for more information.

Get a Student ID  Card

These cards are required for all students and can be obtained in the Enrollment Services lobby. You may get one as soon as you have paid for your classes.

NOTE: Some programs have separate enrollment procedures, and general admission to the college may not guarantee admission to a specific program. Please check your interest area online for specifics.

Student ID Number (SID)

Your SID is your official college ID number. Your SID is needed to access most of the student online services (MyCentral), including registering for classes, checking grades, paying tuition, getting your class schedule and for most other administrative purposes.

Personal Identification Number (PIN)

Student PINs are activated upon completion of the START Orientation (please allow up to two business days). Students need both their SIDs and PINs to use any of the student online services (MyCentral) in order to do tasks such as register for classes (add/drop/waitlist), check grades, pay tuition, access student’s class schedule and keep track of degree progress (My Ed Plan and Degree Audit). For security purposes, we recommend that you change your PIN after it is first activated.

Transcript Evaluation

This official process evaluates incoming transcripts (from other institutions) for credit towards degrees and certificates at Seattle Central College. Along with submitting official college transcripts, students must submit a Transcript Evaluation.

Request form to the Registration Office, in order for their credits to be officially processed. Advisors and Counselors can provide initial, unofficial evaluations of transcripts. International Students should contact the International Education Programs to request a transcript evaluation.

Degrees and Certificates

High School Programs

The High School Completion Program provides students with opportunities to earn a high school diploma by taking college coursework at Seattle Central (GED, Running Start, High School Completion, Highschool 21+)

Basic & Transitional Studies

Basic and Transitional Studies offers pre-college level programs for students, including:

I-BEST (Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training) classes that integrate college credit courses with English language and adult basic skills so students can move into career training faster. Students can earn short-term certificates in Business Information Technology or in Child and Family Studies, and these credits can be applied toward Associate Degrees in those fields.

ESL (English as a Second Language) classes for immigrants and refugees that teach English skills to improve communication in the workplace and to prepare for college-level classes.

ABE (Adult Basic Education) classes for adults who wish to improve their reading, writing, math and computer literacy skills.

GED (General Educational Development) classes to prepare students to take the GED exams in Mathematical Reasoning, Reasoning Through Language Arts, Science and Social Studies.

Transfer Degrees

Seattle Central offers transfer degrees designed to give you a solid foundation for transferring to a four-year college or university in Washington State or throughout the country. Each transfer degree requires:

  • 90 credits in courses numbered 100 and above
  • at least 15 credits earned at Seattle Central
  • approximately 2 years to complete if you are attending as a full–time student (12–18 credits/quarter) and
  • 2.0 or better cumulative GPA. Keep in mind, a 2.0 GPA may not be enough to be admitted to the four-year college/university, or to gain admission into your intended major.

Degree programs with the DTA designation indicate that all 90 credits will be transferable to many four-year colleges and universities in Washington State who are signatory to the Direct Transfer Agreement and may give you priority consideration in the admissions process.

Degree programs with the MRP designation prepare students to enter a particular major upon transferring.  Seattle Central also offers Associate Transfer degrees with Emphasis in Global Health, Global studies, and Sustainable Agriculture.

Be sure to meet with a Seattle Central advisor for guidance in choosing the best Associate Transfer program for YOUR educational goals!

Associate Transfer Degrees Offered:

  • Associate of Arts (AA-DTA)
  • Associate of Arts with Emphasis in Equity & Social  Justice
  • Associate of Arts with Emphasis in Global Health (AA-DTA)
  • Associate of Arts with Emphasis in Global Studies (AA-DTA)
  • Associate of Business  (AB-DTA/MRP)
  • Associate of Science  (AS-DTA)
  • Associate of Science - Transfer:
    • Option 1 (AS-T, # 1: Focus on Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, Geology, Earth Sciences)
    • Option 2 (AS-T, # 2: Focus on Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Atmospheric Science)
  • Associate of Science with Emphasis in Sustainable Agriculture (SagE)
  • Associate of Science with Emphasis in Global Health (DTA, Option 1, Option 2)
  • Associate of Science with Emphasis in Global Studies (DTA, Option 1, Option 2)

Professional-Technical Certificates & Associate Degrees Offered:


Allied Health - Generalist

AAS-T with flexible completion options. Program provides students a pathway to a health industry-focused degree. Ideal for students who have already earned a certificate in an allied health field and seek career advancement, as well as for students who plan to pursue the Allied Health BAS degree.

Dual Degree: Global Health Emphasis(AA-DTA) & ALLIED HEALTH: GENERALIST (AAS-T)

This dual degree is a great pathway to the Bacherlor of Applied Science (BAS) in Allied Health: Community HEalth and Education program.


Six-quarter Associate Nursing degree. Program includes lab skills, nursing theory and hands-on clinical practice to prepare students to take the NCLEX exam and work as registered nurses.*

Nursing Assistant Certified

One-quarter certificate program. Training prepares students to provide personal care to patients in long-term care settings by combining classroom and lab instruction with clinical experience.*

Surgical Technology

Four-quarter certificate with AAS-T degree option. Students learn science, sterilization and surgical skills in lab, classroom, and clinical settings to assist surgical teams with medical operations.*


Business Technology Management

Three-quarter certificate or six-quarter AAS degree. Real world office skills such as customer service, management and professionalism are taught along with IT skills.

Database Administration  & Development

Four-quarter certificate that trains students to organize data, install database management software, create and secure databases and design database-driven applications.

Network Design & Administration

Four-quarter certificate or three quarter certificate for Cisco, 5−6 quarter AAS−T degree. Students learn to design, evaluate and manage systems such as local and wide area networks and other data communications systems.


Four-quarter certificate five or six-quarter AAS−T degree. Trains students to write, test and maintain computer programs with an emphasis on object− oriented design and mobile application development.

Web Design

Four-quarter certificate or 5−6 quarter AAS−T degree. This evening program trains students to create graphics, design navigational elements and structure content to produce user-friendly web sites.

Web Development

Four-quarter certificate or 5−6 quarter AAS−T degree that combines programming, web design and using databases to produce websites.

Mobile Product Development

Four-quarter certificate that prepares students to develop applications for the most popular mobile platforms.

Apparel Design

Six-quarter AAS degree with classes in fashion, computers, design, color and sewing. This program prepares students to work in the apparel manufacturing and design industry.

Visual Media

Six-quarter AAS degree equips students with technical knowledge, creative vision and business acumen to be successful professional photographers.

Graphic Design & Illustration

Six-quarter AAS degree that combines traditional computer-based instruction in professional design, illustration and typography.


Culinary Arts

Six-quarter certificate or seven quarter AAS degree. Chef instructors transform students into chefs by teaching culinary theory and management, combined with the real-life experience of preparing meals for two restaurants.

Specialty Desserts & Breads

Five-quarter certificate or six-quarter AAS degree. Students learn a combination of traditional and cutting edge curricula in the classroom and in a state of the art baking lab.


Marine Deck Technology

Three academic quarters plus an at-sea internship lead to a professional certificate. US Coast Guard-approved program prepares students for rewarding careers at sea as an able-bodied Seaman, Mate or Captain.

Marine Engineering Technology

Three academic quarters plus an at-sea internship lead to a professional certificate. US Coast Guard-approved program prepares students for rewarding careers at sea as a Marine Oiler, Assistant Engineer or Chief Engineer.


Chemical Dependency

Four-quarter certificate. Graduates will train to practice in direct service positions for Washington State licensed chemical dependency facilities.

Early Childhood Education

Four-quarter certificate or six-quarter AAS degree. Preparation for employment working with children and their families in childcare, preschools, school age care, and education and social services.

Social & Human Services

Six−quarter AAS degree. Train to work in human service occupations or prepare for a BA degree in human services, counseling or social work.



Five-quarter Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree program is designed to train students to become skilled professionals in the residential construction industry.  The program combines classroom learning, hands-on skill building projects in our shop, and real world new construction and remodel projects in the community.

Cabinetmaking and architectural woodmaking

Five-quarter Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree program. Technical information combined with practical shop experience prepares students for careers in cabinetmaking, furniture design & construction, and architectural woodworking.

Boat building and repair

Five-quarter Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree program.  Students work in a professional shop environment to gain entry-level skills in building and repair of wood and fiberglass boats.  Students also receive basic instruction on vessel mechanical and electrical systems. Also receive basic instruction on mechanical and electrical systems as applied to marine vessels.

Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degrees

A four-year pathway for professional-technical students

In addition to College Transfer Degrees (see pages 9-10), students whose goal is a four-year degree can consider the professional-technical Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) pathway. Seattle Central offers BAS degrees in Allied Health and Applied Behavioral Science. Students who complete Associate of Applied Science degrees in other professional technical fields may find relevant BAS degree opportunities at other Washington State Community and Technical Colleges:

Allied Health

Students may choose from four available tracks to earn their BAS in Allied Health: dental hygiene, respiratory care, community health and education, and healthcare services management.

Dental Hygiene

Eight-quarter BAS degree. Program combines theory, lab and clinical practice to train students in the recognition, prevention and treatment of diseases of the teeth and gums.*

Respiratory Care

Eight-quarter BAS degree. Students learn to evaluate, treat and care for patients with breathing disorders through a combination of classroom, lab and clinical instruction.*

Community Health and Education

BAS degree with flexible completion options. Track provides a path to career advancement for experienced healthcare professionals who wish to promote health and prevent disease within communities.

Healthcare Services Management

BAS degree with flexible completion options. Track provides quality management, finance, and leadership to prepare experienced healthcare workers in becoming leaders in healthcare administration. This program has a Physician Assistant pathway to the University of Washington. *Upon completion of these programs, students are eligible to take their licensing exams.

Applied Beahvioral Science

The Bachelor of Applied Behavioral Science Program offers a substantive human services bachelor’s degree for direct service practitioners. It is designed for students with an Associate of Applied Science two−year degree in social and human services, early childhood education or a related area. Applications are accepted for fall and winter quarter entry. A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA is required for application; however, acceptance into the program is competitive.

Paying for College

Our Financial Aid Office is here to help you with all aspects of the financial aid application process. If you need help paying for any part of your education, we encourage you to apply. Because there is not a simple income cutoff for determining aid eligibility, you must complete the entire financial aid application process in order to determine if you qualify for need-based financial assistance.

To apply for financial assistance from federal, state and college sources, you must complete a three-step process:

Step 1:

Apply for Admission to Seattle Central College (see page 3)

Step 2:

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Include the Seattle Central Federal (Title IV) School Code: 003787

Step 3:

Respond to the "Required Actions" letter from the Financial Aid office.

Please consult the Seattle Central Financial Aid website for important guidance on each of these steps. All steps must be completed by the published deadlines.


Room BE 1104 C

Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tues 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. 206.934.3844


Workforce Services provide funding for tuition, fees, books, transportation and other resources to qualifying students enrolled in a career-focused Professional/Technical program.

Funding Programs include:

Worker Retraining

Available to qualifying students who receive or have exhausted unemployment benefits, are displaced homemakers, are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or were formerly self-employed in the last 48 months.

Opportunity Grant

Available to low–income students in an approved program.

Basic Food and Training (BFET)

Available to students receiving federally issued Basic Food Benefits (food stamps) through DSHS.


Available to students receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) who are enrolled in ESL, Adult Basic Education, GED or a Professional/Technical program.

Workforce Services BE 5166

The Seattle Central Foundation awards scholarships based on academic merit, financial need, personal history, achievement or for specific areas of study. By submitting one application, you automatically apply for the majority of available scholarships. The majority of Foundation scholarships are awarded in the Spring for the following academic year, but some are available on a quarterly basis.

The Career Exploration Center can also help you find and apply for a variety of other scholarships as well as assist students applying for Foundation scholarship.

The Commitment Scholarship

Once you enroll at Seattle Central and complete at least 10 credits, you can apply for a Seattle Promise scholarship. This bold initiative from the Seattle Central Foundation provides a full scholarship to every student who demonstrates financial need, enrolls full-time and maintains a 3.0 GPA. For more information, visit

Foundation Office

Room BE 4180

Career Exploration Center

The Career Exploration Center Room BE 1102 E

The Veterans Affairs Office, located inside the Financial Aid Office, provides services to help veterans and eligible dependents receive and maintain VA educational benefits while in school. If you are a Veteran, contact the Veterans Affairs Office prior to the beginning of the academic quarter to ensure that your benefits are in place. If you are transferring from another school or have completed applications through the Veterans Administration you should still contact the office to ensure all application requirements have been met.

Veterans Affairs Office

Room BE 1104, 206.934.4147

Advising and Counseling

Seattle Central provides resources to help you make the educational decisions that will support your career and life goals. Whether you are Undecided on your direction, confident that you want a College Transfer degree or interested in a Professional-Technical pathway, we have the guidance you need.

Seattle Central provides a variety of services to help undecided students find an academic and/or career pathway.

Career Services Center offers academic and career resources to Seattle Central students and alumni as well as the general public, free of charge. Career Services Center provides:

  • Career planning and job search advising through individual consultations and workshops
  • Career Assessments to help you identify potential careers based on your interests, values, skills and personality
  • Academic planning to help you prepare for the career you want, which includes helping you choose a major, apply for scholarships and prepare college applications
  • Strategies for creating career–related documents such as resumes, cover letters and portfolios
  • An online employment service Career Hub (only available to students and alumni)
  • A library of career–related publications and online resources
  • Information about job fairs, workshops and other career–related events.

Academic Advising offers assistance to undecided students, to help select first quarter classes and explore college transfer options. The International Education Programs Office provides these services to international students at the college. 

Counseling provides support for undecided students through individualized counseling to determine career interests, educational goals, assisting with course selection and referrals to career planning classes and the Career Services Center.

Career Exploration Center
Room BE 1102 E, 206.934.4383

Academic Advising helps transfer students with their educational plans and goals, such as:

  • Developing long–range educational plans
  • Guidance with Seattle Central degree requirements for your transfer degree
  • See admissions for placement options
  • Unofficial transcript evaluation
  • Discussion of requirements to facilitate a successful transfer to four–year institutions
  • Referrals to other college services and resources
  • Help with researching majors
  • Assistance with schedule planning

College Transfer Center helps students transfer from Seattle Central College to four-year colleges and universities. College Transfer Center provides assistance with:

  • Planning the necessary steps to transfer successfully
  • Searching for colleges that meet your needs
  • Understanding the admissions process and college applications
  • Developing and reviewing your personal statement

Academic Advising Office
Room BE 1102 D, 206.934.4068

College Transfer Center & Study abroad center Room BE1102F, 206.934.5469

Workforce Advising helps students interested in entering professional-technical programs with:

  • Guidance on entry requirements for professional-technical programs
  • Unofficial transcript evaluation
  • Assistance with first quarter class planning and registration
  • Interpretation of COMPASS placement
  • Understanding program requirements, length and credentials gained
  • Referrals to other college services and resources

Workforce Intake Advising
Room BE 1102, 206.934.4068

Counseling provides all students with support and direction in pursuit of their educational goals:

  • Personal counseling to help address issues that can make it difficult for students to succeed in college
  • Career counseling or a career planning class, to help students explore the "fit" of a major or career for their skills, strengths and interests
  • Academic counseling to assist with problems in classes, adjusting to college culture, understanding college systems and processes, time management issues, etc.
  • Crisis Intervention to assist students who encounter extremely challenging situations, or respond to powerful issues in their personal lives
  • Disability Support to provide counseling and reasonable accommodations for students with a documented disability

Counseling Services
Located in BE 3166

Career Development

Career Exploration Center
Room BE 1102 E, 206.934.4383,

Career Services Center offers academic and career resources to Seattle Central students and alumni  as well as the general public free of charge. Career Services Center provides:

  • Career planning and job search advising through individual consultations and workshops
  • Career assessments to help you identify potential careers based on your interests, values, skills and personality
  • Academic planning to help you prepare for the career you want, including assistance with choosing a major, applying for scholarships and preparing college applications
  • Strategies for creating career–related documents such as resumes, cover letters and portfolios
  • An online employment service Career Hub (only available to students and alumni)
  • Information about job fairs, workshops and other career–related events
Room BE 1103, 206.934.6998

Cooperative Education provides an opportunity to acquire career–related experience, explore or clarify career choices, improve existing skills, learn new skills applicable to future employment and earn college credit. Cooperative Education provides:

  • A work-for-credit program for college transfer or workforce education students. Academic credit is earned for the learning that occurs on the job. Students may earn credit for their jobs (with permission), or paid/unpaid internships.
  • Earn credit for volunteer service in non-profit, community–based organizations.
  • Earn college credit for international work experiences, internships, or volunteer activity, as well as other travel/study and foreign language enhancement activities., Room BE 1103, 206.934.6997,

Service Learning is an opportunity to earn credits by combining community involvement with academic instruction. Student Learning is linked to specific classes as either a requirement or an option. Service Learning provides:

  • The opportunity to enhance understanding of course content
  • Experience for building your resume
  • Exploration of career options
  • A broadening of one’s knowledge of the community
  • An ability to earn an additional 2 credits and  do something for others

Student Resources


Students are officially registered after they have paid fees. Instructors may not allow a student to attend their class if the student’s name is not on the official class roster. Students who are officially enrolled in credit classes must be in attendance or communicate with the instructor no later than the first scheduled class. Students who are absent without prior approval of the instructor or the division/department chair may be withdrawn by the college.

NOTE: Students should not assume that they have been dropped if they have not attended class on the first day. This procedure is usually implemented only when there are other students waiting to enroll in that class.

Audit students must register for the course(s) they want to audit and pay full fees. An N grade will be recorded on the student’s transcript. It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the instructor regarding class requirements. After an N is issued, the course may be repeated only once.


The student online services site ( is where you can register for classes, waitlist for classes, get your grades and unofficial transcripts, pay tuition, purchase parking permits, check your Ed Plan and Degree Audit, access your financial aid status and more.

Cancelled Classes

To request a refund and withdrawal from courses (including canceled courses) an add/drop form should be submitted to Registration. Students may withdraw using the Web prior to the start of the quarter. Please keep all receipts for proof of transactions.


To avoid any potential problem in meeting their educational goals, students are strongly encouraged to meet with their instructor before dropping any classes. Students may not withdraw without an instructor’s signature. Please refer to the important dates online at for withdrawal deadlines. Although students may not officially withdraw from a class after the eighth week, they have the option to contract with their instructor for an I (incomplete grade) if passing, or NC (no credit) if in good standing, before the final exam is given.


The waitlist feature offers students a fair, consistent method of enrolling in a full class if openings occur. If a class with the waiting list option is full and you choose to be put on the waiting list, you will be automatically enrolled into the class when a space becomes available. You can add your name to a waiting list on the web. If you decide you no longer want to be on the waiting list for a class, return to the web to have your name removed from the waiting list.

Please be sure to keep your email address updated with the college because you will receive an email if automatically enrolled into a waitlisted class. Check your schedule to know your tuition and fees. If you owe additional tuition, remember to pay within the time frame allowed.

If you have not been enrolled via the automated process by the first day of the quarter, go to the class to obtain an instructor’s signature, if possible. Bring a signed Enrollment form to the Registration Office for processing. The last day to register is on the 10th day of the quarter and tuition is due immediately. Web registration hours are 5am to 11pm, seven days a week, during web registration dates.

Late Registration/Schedule Changes

Students are always encouraged to begin classes on the first day. However, online registration in open classes (except math classes), continues through the third day of the quarter. After the third day, an instructor’s signature is required to add a class. A late fee of $10.50 per credit will be assessed for any class added after the 10th day of the quarter.

NOTE: Math classes require course instructor’s signature from first day and a visit to Registration is required to drop a math class.

Full Time/Part Time Student

A full time student is defined as being enrolled in at least 12 credits for Financial Aid and academic purposes. Anything less than 12 credits is considered part-time status.

Item Number

A four digit number assigned to each specific course and section, and generally used when registering (adding/dropping) courses.


A requirement (usually a class, but sometimes a placement score) needed to gain entry into a course or program of study. Students can prove eligibility for courses by placement testing or by prior course work. Classes earned at another institution must be officially evaluated before being accepted as transferable.

Registration Appointment Time

Your official ‘start’ time to register for classes for the upcoming quarter, assigned through the Registration Office. You must have a Registration Appointment Time in order to register for classes. The Registration Appointment Times are generated each quarter before the registration period begins, and give priority to students based on credits earned at Seattle Central College. If you have not taken classes for one quarter or more, you will need to request an Appointment Time from the Registration Office. Please keep in mind that your Appointment Time is not an actual appointment with an Advisor/Counselor or other staff.

Intra-District Registration

Returning students may register at their regular campus for a course at any of the Seattle Colleges. In most cases, you may register online if you have already applied for admission or through your home campus. The Seattle Colleges District does not provide tuition reduction for concurrent enrollment with colleges outside the district.

Standard Grading System

The Seattle Colleges use a numerical grading system. Numerical grades may be considered equivalent to letter grades as follows:

  • A   4.0−3.9 (Excellent)
  • A− 3.8−3.5
  • B+ 3.4−3.2 (High)
  • B   3.1−2.9
  • B− 2.8−2.5
  • C+ 2.4−2.2 (Average)
  • C   2.1−1.9
  • C− 1.8−1.5
  • D+ 1.4−1.2
  • D   1.1−1.0 (Minimum)
  • F   0.0 (Failure)

Many programs and individual course sequences require a minimum of a 2.0 grade in order to continue with additional courses or studies. Be sure to know the specific requirements for your courses, program or college transfer major; consult with your advisor or counselor. Grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing total points earned by total credit hours attempted.

Non-Traditional Grading Options

The following letter grade options are not universally accepted by other institutions and could jeopardize the transferability of courses and financial aid status; see your advisor.

S−Satisfactory With Credit

Used for individual progress, clinical and skill development courses. This symbol is not used for college transfer courses numbered 100 and above, except designated pass/fail courses as approved by the Office of Instruction.


Indicates that the student performed at a passing level, completed most of the course requirements and intends to make up the missing work. An Incomplete is given only at the discretion of the instructor when the student has attended regularly, done satisfactory work and furnished satisfactory proof to the instructor that the work cannot be completed because of illness or other circumstances beyond the student’s control.

The instructor and student must draft and sign a contract which describes the work the student must complete in order to remove the I grade and receive credit for the course; this contract must be submitted to the division dean for approval.  Coursework must be completed during the following quarter, excluding Summer Quarter. If the student fails to remove the I by completing the coursework in the specified time period, the I will remain on their transcript. If the student elects to repeat a course rather than make up the work, the I will remain on the transcript. The grade earned will compute in the GPA; after receiving an I in a course, a student may repeat that course only once.


To audit a course means to register for and attend class without receiving a grade or credit. An N grade, rather than credit, is recorded on the transcript. Students must officially register to audit a course. Registration for an N may be made until the end of the second week of the quarter without the instructor’s signature, or at the end of the eighth week (sixth week of Summer Quarter) with the instructor’s approval and signature.

Students are responsible for consulting with the instructor regarding class requirements. After an N is issued, the course may be repeated no more than once. If the instructor’s requirements for an N are not satisfied by the student during the course, the instructor may issue an NC (No Credit) symbol. Students changing their status from audit to credit or credit to audit must make official changes within the specific deadline.

NC−No Credit

Indicates that the student did not fulfill the requirements for receiving an S grade, an N grade or a numerical grade in the course. A student in good standing may request an NC symbol from the instructor prior to the final examination, to be granted at the instructor’s discretion. After an NC is issued, the course may be repeated no more than once. An NC does not affect a student’s GPA.

W−Official Withdrawal

This grade will be recorded and will remain on the student’s transcript. After a W is issued, the course may be repeated no more than once.

Y−Ongoing Course

Used for a course that is two or more quarters in length. The final grade for the course will be reported at the last quarter.

Grade Errors/ Changes

Report grade errors or grade changes immediately to the Registration office. Grade errors reported after two consecutive quarters may not be changed. Students are encouraged to consult with their instructors before initiating a grade review process, as outlined in the complaint procedure.

After a course grade has been assigned, supplemental or additional class work will not be accepted for the purpose of changing that grade except in the case of an I (incomplete) grade. Students must complete the coursework as directed by the instructor during the following quarter (excluding Summer Quarter).


Official, sealed transcripts are required by other institutions when students transfer. Official transcripts (a copy of a student’s permanent academic record) may be requested in writing from the Registration office of the college where the classes were taken or online through the National Student Clearinghouse.

Cost is $7.50 per copy and requires two working days for processing. In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, transcripts will be released only upon written request. Students can get an unofficial transcript at no cost, via MyCentral on the college website. Transcripts will not be released if students have not fulfilled all financial obligations to the college.

Academic Recognition

Students are recognized for outstanding academic achievements through the Dean’s List or President’s List Awards at the college they are currently attending. These awards are posted to the student’s official academic transcript.

Dean’s List

Students must have 10 or more credits per quarter at the college they are currently attending and a 3.5 quarterly GPA.

President’s List

Students must have accumulated 30 or more credits at the college they are currently attending and have a 3.8 or higher cumulative GPA.

College Success Program

The College Success Program serves current foster youth and those who have aged out of the foster system. The program provides guidance, connecting students with experts in financial aid, career and academic planning, the learning support network, financial planning, TRiO Student Support Services, emergency assistance, employment, transfer application and advocacy. College Success also offers a place for students to connect with one another and opportunities for academic recognition.

Room BE 4174 D5, 206.934.3168

Disability Support Services

Disability Support Services provides accommodations and services to students with documented disabilities who require or need additional support in order to achieve equal access to education. Our counselors provide one-on-one support and advising, meeting with students to determine any accommodations needed to allow students to meet course standards. Accommodations include such assistance as extra time for tests, sign language interpreters, shared class notes and course readings in alternative formats, and other assistive technology. Disability Support Services fosters a sense of community where students have an opportunity to fully participate in all aspects of campus life.

Room BE 1112, 206.934.4183
Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Alternative Telephone Access
People who are deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind or speech-disabled may access the Seattle Colleges through free communication services provided by the Washington Relay Service:

  • TTY text-telephone: 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384
  • Voice carry-over (VCO): 1-800- 833-6386
  • Hearing carry-over (HCO): 1-800-833-6388
  • Speech-to-speech (STS): 1-877-833-6341

TRIO Student Support Services

The TRIO program offers academic and transfer advising, short term personal counseling, and one-one-one academic tutoring to eligible students (first generation and/or low income, and/or students with disabilities, who are planning to obtain an Associate Degree and transfer and demonstrate academic need for services). The TRIO program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education to promote academic success and transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Please visit the TRiO SSS office to see if you qualify (Room BE 1102 B1).


TRIO Student Support Services

Room BE1102 B1, 206.934.3852

Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm

M. Rosetta Hunter Art Gallery

Take a break from your studies and feed your spirit with a visit to the art gallery, located across from the Atrium cafeteria in the BE building. Frequent displays of student works are complemented with shows by local and regional artists, as well as touring exhibits. The gallery also sponsors activities such as guest lectures and poetry readings that reflect, appreciate, promote and serve the college’s multicultural population.


M. Rosetta Hunter Art Gallery

Room BE 2116, 206.934.4379

Mon-Fri 9:30am-3:30pm

Tues-Wed 5pm-7pm

Multicultural Services

Multicultural Services promotes institutional responsiveness to the needs of students of color and students of diverse cultural backgrounds. They offer college information and assistance to prospective, new and re-entry students, referrals to on and off campus resources, student advocacy, workshops and conferences, scholarship information, informal dialogue discussions regarding social justice or diversity, coordination of "Students of Color Conference" attendees (see page 22), and community collaboration and partnerships. The office also collaborates with other college departments on retention and student success projects and provides professional development activities and diversity resources to students, faculty and staff.



Room BE 1103 A5



Student Support Programs

Student Support Programs helps students achieve their education and career goals through the following programs:

Student Parent Support/Child Care Assistance Program

Funding, information and referral resources are available to students needing child care assistance while attending school. We also provide support to parents by facilitating group gatherings for networking and resource sharing and by offering informative quarterly events.

Emergency Fund Program

Some emergency funding is available for students requiring emergency assistance in special circumstances.

Women’s Programs

Through weekly lecture series, campus fairs and other events, we provide information as well as a voice and community around gender concerns. Information about a variety of community resource assistance is available to students of all gender identities.



Room BE 3215

Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm

Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Program

Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) offers academic and professional support services to underrepresented students studying Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) and seeking to transfer to 4-year colleges and universities. MESA provides qualifying students with free tutoring and Academic Excellence Workshops, academic and transfer advising, exposure to STEM career­s and industry professionals and professional development opportunities. MESA students have access to a dedicated student center (located in the North Plaza Room 106) where they can gather to study, meet with tutors, make new friends and find science news and internship opportunities.

MESA Office

Room SAM 114, 206.934.4320

Mon-Fri 9:30am-4:30pm

For more information, visit our website or stop by SAM 114 to fill out an application.

Tutoring at the Learning Support Network |

Mission Statement

The Learning Support Network provides high quality academic support to Seattle Central’s diverse student population in order to: improve comprehension, increase competence, instill confidence and promote success.

The Learning Support Network (LSN) services are free to all current students. Our trained tutors provide one-on-one appointments, walk-in and online support in a rich environment to connect, learn and grow. Learn more at:

BE Learning Center | Room BE 2102, 206.934.0972

Mon-Thu 9am-8pm

Fri 9am-5pm

Sat 9am-3pm

The BE Learning Center provides one−on−one tutoring and a quiet area for personal studying. We encourage you to make an appointment to guarantee your spot, but we also serve walk−ins on a first−come, first−served basis. Appointments can be made up to one week in advance. Visit the BE Learning Center for help with:

  • Humanities
  • Writing
  • Business
  • Accounting
  • Economics
  • Languages
  • Culinary Arts
  • Apparel Design

Writing Center @ the Library | Room Library Classroom A

Mon, Wed, Fri 1pm-4pm

The Writing Center provides individual consultations on a variety of writing projects, from essays to personal statements. All appointments are on a first-come, first-served basis. Please bring a paper copy of your project to the Writing Center when you visit.

Science and Math Learning Centers | all STEM classes in SAM 100


Mon-Thu 9am-6pm

Fri 9am-5pm

The STEM Learning Centers provide support for students in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math classes on a drop-in basis. Centers are located in the Science and Mathematics (SAM) Building and the near the Business and Information Technology Division office BE 3176

Math Path | Room SAM102

Mon−Fri 1pm−5pm

The Math Path provides learning support to students enrolled in pre−college math. Faculty and student peer tutors work together to model and foster successful math learning. Visit the Math Path for help with:

  • Math081
  • Math087
  • Math088
  • Math096
  • Math098
  • or Math 91/92/136

Info & Tech Resources

Student Help Desk | Room BE 1105 | 206.934.6320

The Student Helpdesk is located inside the Information Central Office. IT Services staff members are there to answer technology questions relating to student computer use on campus. They can help with issues such as how to find login names, how to register and pay for classes online and how to access online services for general information. Students may request help by email, phone or in person during office hours.

Mon−Thu 9am−6pm

Fri 9am−5pm

Sat 9am−1pm

Computer Center | Room BE 3148 | 206.934.4194

The Computer Center is available to all Seattle Central students and has PC and Apple computers. Current Seattle Central enrollment and a thumb drive are required. Students without computer experience are encouraged to enroll in one of the MIC 102 introductory short courses. Lab staff members are available to assist with use of technology but cannot act as tutors.

Mon-Thu 7am-10pm

Fri 7am-6pm

Sat 9am-6pm

Closed during breaks

Distance Education / E-Learning | Room BE 1140 | Phone: 206.934.4060

Distance education courses are flexible and you can choose when and where you study. Whether the course is online over the Internet, by correspondence or via video or DVDs, you can learn at the times convenient to you and earn credits toward your degree or certificate.

Phone: 206.934.4060

Library & Media Services | Room BE 2101

The library staff and faculty provide a wide range of information resources, services, and instruction. Resources include collections of books, e-books, periodicals, DVDs, CDs, online databases, and streaming media. Group study rooms, scanning photocopiers, cameras and other media equipment, networked computers, and laptops are also available. Librarians teach information research credit courses and workshops and provide reference services for those seeking individual research help. Online reference assistance is available 24/7 at

Circulation: 206.934.4050

Reference: 206.934.5421

Media: 206.934.4053

Book Store | 206.934.4148

The Seattle Central Bookstore offers required textbooks, supplies and educational support materials. The Bookstore provides new, used, digital and rental textbooks. To avoid long lines, students are encouraged to purchase books two weeks prior to the start of classes each quarter, or online at:

Copy Center | Room BE 3105 A |  206.934.5419

The Copy Center provides copying services for students, faculty and staff. It is equipped with self−service machines, and employees are available to assist in copying, selling blue books, scantrons, envelopes, transparencies and course packets.

Mon-Thu 7:30am-7:30pm

Fri 7:30am-4pm

The Atrium

Mon-Fri 7:30am-2:30pm

The Atrium features a variety of cafeteria−style food, including a breakfast menu, burgers, pizza, beverages, salads, sandwiches and snacks.

The Buzz

Mon-Fri 7:30am-2:30pm

The Buzz Espresso Stand by the Broadway entrance to the Broadway Edison Building welcomes students, employees and visitors to the campus with espresso, coffee and smoothies. Student-prepared pastries, including specialty desserts and breads, are also available for purchase in The Buzz pastry case during most of the quarter. The Buzz serves over 75,000

Square One Bistro

Tue−Fri 11:15am−1:00pm

Square One Bistro offers a quick and casual meal in the sky-lit atrium or in our cozy bistro. Dine on fresh market salads, daily house-made soups and chowders and wood-fired pizzas. We feature fresh pasta, local seafood and pasture-raised meat and poultry.

One World Dining

Reservations: 206.934.5424

Tue−Fri 11:15am−1:00pm

One World Restaurant offers seasonally focused dining with global influences using local and sustainable ingredients in each of our artfully prepared dishes. Advanced reservations are required for parties of six or more.

The Charles H. Mitchell Activity Center (MAC) | 206.934.6315

The Charles H. Mitchell Activity Center (MAC) provides an environment of diverse activities and recreational programs for the campus and  general community to promote healthy lifestyles and wellness. With facilities ranging from racquetball courts to a running track and yoga rooms, it is the perfect place to get your daily workout. If you want a more directed health plan the MAC gives access to personal trainers, massage therapy and nutrition counseling. They also organize free drop−in fitness classes as well as the quarterly Health and Wellness Institute. If you prefer exercise as a social endeavor, the MAC also works with the Tournaments and Games Team, a Student Leadership board, to host health weeks, guest speakers, sports activities and tournaments for the student body.

Phone: 206.934.6315

Mon-Fri 7am-8pm

Sat-Sun 10am-4pm

Transportation Services Office | Room BE 1143 | 206.934.3202


Public Transit

Seattle Central is well served by excellent transit service. Metro routes 8, 9, 10, 11, 43, 49 and 60 provide either direct or adjacent access to the campus on Broadway and E. Pine. The LINK light rail Capitol Hill station is located adjacent to campus and provides a direct link to the University of Washington to the north, and downtown, Beacon Hill and the Rainier Valley to the south.   Seattle Central offers a deeply discounted transit pass called an ORCA card. This card is valid for use on all regional buses, the Link Light Rail, the Sounder trains that travel to Tacoma and Everett, and also the South Lake Union and First Hill streetcars and King County-operated Fast Ferries and Water Taxis. Please inquire at the Transportation Office for more information.

Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm

Student Parking

Parking is extremely limited at Seattle Central and in the Capitol Hill area. Four types of parking permits are available to students: daytime (all day), carpool, afternoon and evening permits (for parking from 12 noon until closing, and all day Saturdays) and night time permits.  Student parking permits are not valid for parking on campus during days and times when the college does not offer classes.

The daytime, all-day student permits are offered on a first come, first served basis only to eligible students. The college limits the sale of the all-day parking permits due to limited availability. These permits are available for purchase online or at the cashier’s office typically one month before the beginning of the quarter.

The afternoon and evening permit is available for students attending classes beginning at noon and throughout the evening. Purchase afternoon and evening permits directly at the campus cashier or online; there is no limit to the number of these permits to be sold.

The night time permit is available for students whose classes are only in the evening or Saturdays. This permit is valid from 4pm until school closes Monday through Friday; it is only valid when there are night time classes being offered, and is also valid on Saturdays from 7am until 6pm, Fall through Spring quarters. The night time permit is not valid on Fridays or Saturdays during Summer quarter.

Student Carpools

Student carpools are required to register with Transportation Services. A student carpool is defined as two or more registered, paid students commuting together for at least 50% of the carpool’s longest individual commute distance. The student carpool permit is only offered to those students who reside more than five miles from campus. Permits are available on a first come, first served basis to eligible students only. Availability of parking space and permits is not guaranteed. 

Bicycles and Motorcycles

Students riding bicycles and motorcycles can park on campus. All bicycles and motorcycles must park in the designated areas

Safety & Security | BE 1108 | 206.934.5442

The Public Safety Department -

  • Acts as the first responder for all criminal incidents
  • Provides general patrol of campus facilities and property
  • Investigates collisions and manages traffic safety and parking
  • Coordinates emergency management planning
  • Provides crime prevention programs
  • Responds to all reports of fire and/or medical aid working in support of the Seattle Fire Department.
  • Lost & Found is located inside the Public Safety office. 

If there is a life-threatening emergency, please first call 911, then contact the Public Safety Department.


Communication in an Emergency

Emergency Call Stations

Emergency call stations are located in seven locations around campus. These include three wall-mounted call stations and four blue call station towers. With just the touch of a button, the call stations will connect you directly with Seattle Central’s Public Safety department in case of an emergency.

Public Address system

When safe to do so, the Public Safety Department will announce an active emergency or lock-down has been issued, and will announce the ‘all clear’ from an active incident. 


Our official emergency notification system. Student email addresses are automatically entered into the SeattleCollegesAlerts, and updated on a regularly scheduled basis. Students will receive a request to register from from SeattleCollegesAlerts at the email address you submitted during Admissions. Follow the directions in the message to confirm your contact information and choose your notification preferences.

Student Conduct

The Student Conduct Officer addresses complaints about the behavior or conduct of another student on campus. The following pages include more information regarding the Student Conduct Code.


Any institution serving thousands of people must have rules, policies and procedures protecting and supporting a cooperative educational environment. To maintain this environment, the college outlines a code of conduct that defines both misconduct and proper/appropriate conduct.

A student’s responsibility in maintaining a good environment is to:

  • Maintain high standards of academic integrity
  • Respect the rights of others
  • Refrain from actions that endanger themselves or others
  • Comply with district and college rules and regulations
  • Comply with the civil authority


For a full description of student misconduct, refer to the Washington Administrative Code Section 132F-110, found at

Any member of the college community (faculty, staff, students, administrators) may file a student conduct complaint against any student when they believe there has been a violation of the student conduct code.

The Student Conduct Incident Report form is available through the Student Conduct Officer in room BE 4180.

Phone: 206.934.6946

Examples of misconduct include:

  • Academic dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism
  • Forgery, alteration, or misuse of documents and false statements
  • Disruption of instruction, research, administration, and other district activities
  • Physical or verbal abuse, harassment of any person on district property
  • Theft, damage, or possession of district or personal property
  • Failure to comply with direction of district employees or identify oneself to persons when requested
  • Participation in activity which unreasonably disrupts the normal operations of the district
  • Possession or use of any device or substance which can inflict bodily harm or damage property
  • Hazing of any type
  • Possession, consumption, or being under the influence of alcohol, or selling any such drug or substance
  • Possession, consumption, or being under the influence of narcotic drugs or controlled substances, or selling any such drug or substance
  • Obstruction of free flow of pedestrian or vehicular movements on district property or at a district activity
  • Conduct which is disorderly, lewd, or obscene
  • Breach of peace, or aiding, abetting, or procuring a breach of the peace
  • Discriminatory action against a student or district employee because of race, color, national origin, mental/physical disability, gender, sexual orientation, age, creed, or religion
  • Sexual harassment of a student or district employee
  • Stalking and other harassment of a student or district employee
  • Smoking inside a campus building or smoking where smoking is prohibited
  • Theft or other misuse of computer time or other electronic information resources of the district
  • Unauthorized entry onto or into district property
  • Abuse or misuse of any procedures relating to student complaints or misconduct
  • Operation of any motor vehicle on district property in an unsafe or threatening manner
  • Violation of any other district rule, requirement, or procedure
  • Violation of any federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation
  • Encouraging or assisting another person to commit any act of misconduct

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Seattle Central College enforces guidelines concerning information about the student’s permanent educational record, and governs the conditions of its disclosure. Except as otherwise indicated, the College will not provide information contained in student records in response to inquiries unless the student has given consent to the College in writing.

The college will make an exception to these restrictions if: (1) disclosure is required by law (judicial subpoena of records), provided that the college makes a reasonable effort to notify the student in advance of the release of records; or (2) if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals. The college provides additional information to military recruiters in compliance with federal Solomon Act requirements.

Students wishing to be excluded from the student directory information, as defined in PL.93-380, must file a quarterly non-disclosure request with the Registrar to seal their records. Seattle Central College assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request the withholding of Directory Information indicates individual approval for disclosure. By sealing your records, Seattle Central will be unable to verify degrees, graduation or any other requested information.

  • Student’s Name
  • Email Address
  • Date(s) of enrollment
  • Awards granted by the college
  • Participation in official sports activities
  • Height and weight of athletic team members
  • Field of Study
  • Enrollment Status at the college

Student Complaints Process

The Seattle Colleges District has developed policies and procedures that are generally set forth in the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) chapter WAC 132F.122 (370.10.70) to be used for the processing and disposition of complaints about campus employees. These procedures are designed to respect the rights and dignity of both the complainant and the respondent in the resolution of the problem. Students’ rights are carefully protected to ensure that they do not suffer retaliation from articulating a problem or filing a formal complaint.

There are numerous resources available to assist students in resolving problems or complaints that may arise in class or on campus. The Dean of Student Development is the designated campus complaints officer and is available to meet with students to discuss issues, devise problem-solving strategies, and if necessary, guide them through the formal complaints process. Make an appointment (206.934.3840) to meet for assistance, support and advice.

Informal Process STEP #1

The person you are having the problem with is always the best person to talk to first. We strongly encourage a student who has a complaint to speak (communicate via email, phone, or in person) directly with the college employee most responsible for the condition or situation that is the cause of the complaint, and hopefully solve the problem with dialogue. Most problems are resolved at this stage with calm objective conversation and good will. If you are uneasy about how to approach the subject, any of the following people (in addition to the complaints officer) can advise and assist you:

  • Your division counselor is an excellent resource to assist you. Call 206.934.6946 for information about counselors.
  • Human Resources Officer, 206.587.4125 V/TDD, can provide information and guidance about sexism and sexual harassment.
  • The Multicultural Services Director, 206.934.4085, can assist you with concerns about racial discrimination

Informal Process STEP #2

The individual dean for the program or division in which you are experiencing a problem can often be very helpful in negotiating between you and the employee to resolve differences or find a solution to the problem. See table at the left for division and dean contact information.

If your conversation (via email, phone, or in person) with the instructor or staff member does not result in a satisfactory response, or if there is some reason that makes it inappropriate to speak with the employee, the next step is to make an appointment to speak with the employee’s supervisor. Normally this will be the dean of the division or program. See the Division and Dean Contact Information box on the left.

You will be encouraged at this point to write clearly explaining your complaint or problem, identifying evidence and describing the resolution that you seek. (The campus complaints officer can assist in identifying the appropriate supervisor and advise students in the presentation of their Request.)

The division dean will investigate the issues articulated in the Advocacy Request and make a serious attempt to achieve a mutually satisfactory solution to the problem.


The purpose of filing a formal complaint with the student complaints officer is to provide due process to both parties in the solution of a problem or complaint that a student has been unable to resolve or settle informally.

The complaints officer will guide the student through all of the appropriate steps.

The steps and the timeline in the formal complaints process will vary somewhat depending on the situation.

Formal complaints must be addressed, in writing, to the campus complaints officer. The material can be emailed as attachments. Meet with the complaints officer to discuss the matter prior to writing your letter. Your written complaint should be clear and well organized, with the situation explained in detail and all supporting materials and documentation included.

The complaints officer will send a copy of your complaint letter to the person named in the complaint and to the head of the department or division.The person about whom you are complaining is required to respond in writing about your complaint to the complaints officer within 10 instructional days of receiving the letter.

If the written response does not resolve the complaint, the student can request a conference with the faculty. The complaints officer will call the parties together for a conference where they can talk face to face in an atmosphere of fairness and cooperative problem solving. For online courses other accommodations will be made. This meeting will include the student, the respondent, the respondent’s supervisor or unit administrator, and the complaints officer. The student may bring an advocate.


If the complaint is not resolved at the conference, the student may ask the complaints officer to request an administrative review by the Vice President of the appropriate department.